RE: aria-describedby and visibility, what is the expected spec behavior?

Thank you very much Steve.

Have there been any discussions about modifying this behavior, at least for aria-describedby, in future versions of ARIA, so that the visibility of the element is part of the calculation?

I am seeing cases where the use of it causes confusion for screen reader users in particular, based on a technique that, while not optimal, seems fairly reasonable for website developers, i.e. put the error messages in place, do the proper associations, then make them visible when needed.

Obviously there is a simple solution to this, i.e. to have Javascript insert the aria-describedby relationship only when needed.

I am just wondering about this, because these elements could be hidden using off-screen tecniques if authors feel they need to be available to screen readers even when they are not visible on the screen, else the need of the screen reader user seems to be similar to other users in that sometimes they need to be aware of the information, sometimes not.

I am fairly new to this list so I do apologize if this has already been discussed.

Thanks

-Birkir