From: James Craig [mailto:jcraig@apple.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:48 PM
To: Foliot, John
Cc: Birkir Gunnarsson; Bryan Garaventa; Cynthia Shelly; public-pfwg@w3.org
Subject: Re: Is there an official place to document current role
compatibility differences?

On Apr 8, 2014, at 10:36 AM, Foliot, John <john.foliot@chase.com> wrote:

> I think you are missing an important part of the problem James. Yes, I
(we) want bugs found and fixed, but there are a plethora of developers out
there that cannot simply say "upgrade to the latest" - we have to support
what is out there in the real world.

These are not mutually exclusive goals. Keep your list for developers, but
*responsibly* list the versions tested and file bugs when you find them.

> Using ARIA today is reminiscent to using CSS in 1999 - 2000: it was great
and wonderful and loads of people saw the value.

Do you remember the "position is everything" site that documented all the
CSS bugs in Internet Explorer? It was useful for web developers, but the
engineers behind it also filed bugs against Internet Explorer, and now those
bugs are fixed.

> The data, big data, will be free and open for all to see and use as they
see fit. If you or somebody else wants to take that data and file bug
reports against the softwares affected, then that is a useful use of that
data. Personally, I simply don't want to limit the initiative to only
tracking down bugs.

I file bugs whenever I find them, including bugs against other
implementations like Mozilla. Even if I can't convince you, my hope is that
others involved in this community effort see the value in this goal.

James