From: Léonie Watson [mailto:lwatson@paciellogroup.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 1:16 AM
To: 'W3C WAI Protocols & Formats'
Subject: Extensible ARIA?

Hello,

Web components offer exciting possibilities, and accessibility is going to need to keep pace with this potential. This came up at EdgeConf recently, where ARIA was widely thought to be the solution amongst developers.

I'm not sure that ARIA (as it stands) can keep pace with the near infinite range of components that developers could/will create? It seems improbable that the ARIA spec could ever encompass every/any element/role that a developer might conjure up.

Jeremy Keith made this point at EdgeConf, and also suggested the possibility of ARIA becoming extensible [1].

I thought it was worth raising here for discussion. Apologies if it's already being discussed here or elsewhere.

Léonie.
[1] http://adactio.com/journal/6719/

--
Senior Accessibility Engineer, TPG