Re: ISSUE-636 ACTION-1398 Provide spec. text for aria-roledescription

On 04/03/2014 02:36 PM, James Craig wrote:
> On Apr 3, 2014, at 11:07 AM, Joanmarie Diggs <jdiggs@igalia.com> wrote:
>
>>   I say at least, because when you use a real role, the screen reader
>>   can do things like: a) include the number of charts (or videos) as
>>   part of its "document summary" feature. b) provide quick keys to
>>   jump to the next/prev chart (or video). c) respect the user's braille
>>   verbosity setting, which may include not displaying certain roles in
>>   braille, or displaying them via a symbolic indicator, or displaying
>>   them using a localized abbreviation. Bit of a shame to lose that....

> I object to the insinuation that we're losing something; we can't
> lose something we've never had. No one is implying we should use role
> description *instead of* adding new roles. No one is arguing against
> the benefit of having real roles with additional functionality. We
> are all in agreement that that many new roles should be added, for
> all the reasons you listed and many more.

I feel like we have had a miscommunication, and I am really, really
sorry for that. And doubly so because I most certainly did not mean to
insinuate anything, including what you stated above.

To be clear (I hope): I am not opposed to the inclusion of localized
role descriptions. The point I have been trying to make is that while
localized role descriptions make sense for the reasons you have outlined
-- and therefore we should do it for those reasons -- ATK happens to
already have a way to accomplish that (and a bit more nice-to-haves
along with it). Thus I would really like to find a way where:

1. All platforms can have localized role descriptions, and
2. ATK can have a mapping to platform roles (like ATK_ROLE_VIDEO)
   when reasonably possible.

If we can accomplish 2, then "we" (ATK/AT-SPI) don't lose the additional
functionality that our (ATK/AT-SPI) platform makes possible for us
(ATK/AT-SPI).

It was/is my hope that there is some way we can accomplish that
platform-specific mapping **without in any way interfering with
localized role descriptions**. That is what I have been asking about,
and I even tossed out an idea for consideration which would use the
tokenized roles in a mail I sent before seeing your reply above. I'm
trying to brainstorm for a solution....

Again, my sincerest apologies for any offense I may have caused.
--joanie