Re: ARIA Test Cases 86 and 87 are invalid

From: Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 09:29:55 -0400
To: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
CC: Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>, cooper@w3.org, cyns@exchange.microsoft.com, David Bolter <dbolter@mozilla.com>, public-pfwg@w3.org, surkov.alexander@gmail.com
Hi Rich,

> Selection following focus means that if you set focus on an element in
> the container that it's selected state changes to "true" ...

Which selection state?  Possibilities include (1) the value of
aria-selected, (2) the AAPI selection state, (3) the associated GUI
widget's selection state, or all three.  (Or, I suppose any combination
thereof).

> versus setting the focus on an element in the container and the author
> having to apply aria-selected="true" if they so desire. In the latter
> case selection following focus is optional.

That sounds like what I was getting at in terms of a script setting
aria-selected to true based on an onfocus event.  If an author does
that, is it a case of selection following focus?

> Michael and I felt that the UAIG was unclear as to what the user agent
> should do in response to focus changes within specific containers.

Yes, it is not clear what the meaning of "Scenario" is in the second
table in section 5.8.3.  I suggested it's a conditional:  "When
selection follows focus, the UA does the following ...".

--
;;;;joseph.

'A: After all, it isn't rocket science.'
'K: Right. It's merely computer science.'
              - J. D. Klaun -