Re: Problems and Opportunities at purl.org

Shane, hello.

On 1 Mar 2016, at 15:25, Shane McCarron wrote:

> Umm...  I think A == B, in that if somehow the purl.org DNS points to
> w3id.org it will just work.

That would be possibility (b).  Goal (a) would be creating a w3id.org
redirect corresponding to each purl.org redirect, and then abandoning
the purl.org domain, or parking it ('nothing to see here').  I hope
no-one's suggesting that, but it would be good to explicitly rule it out
as a non-goal.

> But I don't remember anyone offering us that
> domain.

My _impression_ was that OCLC was willing to pass on the purl.org
domain, as well as the database contents, to a suitably constituted
successor.  I got that impression because I believe the widely assumed
goal is at least (b), and that wouldn't be possible without a bequest of
the domain.

> On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Norman Gray <norman@astro.gla.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> Can I just check what the goal is, here?
>>
>> Is it:
>>
>> (a) Create a w3id.org redirect for each/most purl.org redirect and
>> abandon the purl.org ones in whole or in part?
>>
>> (b) Support purl.org as a domain -- ie, support all/most existing
>> http://purl.org/.../blah redirects -- even if it's implemented by a
>> similar mechanism to w3id.org?
>>
>> (c) Work towards a mechanism for creating new purl.org redirects by
>> whatever means?

All the best,

Norman

--