Re: Problems and Opportunities at purl.org

From: Thomas Baker <tom@tombaker.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 11:19:09 +0100
To: Norman Gray <norman@astro.gla.ac.uk>
Cc: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>, Pemanent Identifier CG <public-perma-id@w3.org>
On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 04:47:20PM +0000, Norman Gray wrote:
> >But I don't remember anyone offering us that
> >domain.
>
> My _impression_ was that OCLC was willing to pass on the purl.org
> domain, as well as the database contents, to a suitably constituted
> successor.  I got that impression because I believe the widely
> assumed goal is at least (b), and that wouldn't be possible without
> a bequest of the domain.

I have posted various updates to the Dublin Core community [1,2,3].  We
have not heard anything from OCLC about their plans directly, though Jon
Phipps noticed that the OCLC Bib PURL service was coming back online
[4].  Cynthia Whitacre of OCLC notes: "Since it was introduced, the
programming language in which it was written is no longer used for
current OCLC applications.  This has caused challenges as we looked for
a solution, but we believe we now have one" but directs users with
questions or concerns about purl.org itself to OCLC's Support Desk.

Tom

[1] https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1511&L=DC-ARCHITECTURE&D=0&P=3711 (Nov 2015)
[2] https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1603&L=DC-ARCHITECTURE&P=11997 (recent)
[3] https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1603&L=DC-ARCHITECTURE&P=14384 (recent)