Re: recommendations for persistent URL/resolver services?

Yeah, one thing that makes w3id.org work reliably is that it is based
on a bog standard Apache HTTP server with not very complicated
.htaccess rewrites. That means there aren't any SQL or SOLR backend
services that could fall over, and it can scale horizontally to as
many nodes are needed, as the git repository can just be checked out.

(In fact the Travis CI tests that verifies that the w3id.org URLs
still works does exactly this on localhost - see
https://github.com/perma-id/w3id.org#link-checking )

Also w3id.org is run by a consortium rather than a single actor, which
helps spread the risk long-term:

> There are a growing group of organizations that have pledged responsibility to ensure the operation of this website. These organizations are: Digital Bazaar, 3 Round Stones, OpenLink Software, Applied Testing and Technology, Openspring, and Bosatsu Consulting. They are responsible for all administrative tasks associated with operating the service. The social contract between these organizations gives each of them full access to all information required to maintain and operate the website. The agreement is setup such that a number of these companies could fail, lose interest, or become unavailable for long periods of time without negatively affecting the operation of the site.

And worst come to worst, anyone can git clone the w3id repository at
their own Apache server and change their DNS and SSL certificates to
have their local instance.  The equivalent for purl.org seems
currently to be a bit tricky, but perhaps OCLC could provide data
dumps?

Recently we have been seeing more requests for w3id.org PURLs on the
public-perma-id mailing list
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-perma-id/ - so I agree not
requiring .htaccess editing skills is good.

I've also seen that the dialogue that comes out of the email system
can help with making better permanent identifiers, particularly for
things like ontologies.

However I agree on a simple UI for making a request,  perhaps some
form with Javascript would work? It might be harder to do the
fork/pull-request thing, but the page can simply say "Email this to
the mailing list", this still allowing for discussion that might be
needed for users who are not quite sure what redirect they need.