From: Ian Jacobs [mailto:ij@w3.org]
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2019 11:50 AM
To: Payments WG <public-payments-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Call for Consensus to Request Formal Review of WPWG Charter - Review Requested by 8 November

EXTERNAL EMAIL
** This email has been received from outside the organization – Think before clicking on links, opening attachments, or responding. **

Dear Web Payments Working Group Participants,

The Web Payments Working Group's charter [1] expires 31 December 2019. We discussed rechartering during TPAC [2] and reviewed the draft charter at our 31 October teleconference [3].

This is a Call for Consensus to request that the W3C Director submit the following charter for formal review by the W3C Membership:  https://www.w3.org/Payments/WG/charter-201910.html

PLEASE RESPOND to the proposal by 8 November 2019 (10am ET).

NOTES:

* One goal of this review is for your organization to begin to look at the scope section of the charter. We would like to reduce the likelihood organizations raising scope-related concerns during the formal Advisory Committee review, expected to begin later in November.

* If the Member review process has not been completed before the end of 2019, I expect W3C to extend the current Working Group charter through the review period.

For the co-Chairs,
Ian Jacobs

[1] https://www.w3.org/Payments/WG/charter-201803.html

[2] https://www.w3.org/2019/09/15-wpwg-minutes.html#item14

[3] https://www.w3.org/2019/10/31-wpwg-minutes.html

=========
PROPOSAL

That the Web Payments Working Group request that the W3C Director submit this revised Web Payments Working Group charter for formal review by the W3C Membership:
 https://www.w3.org/Payments/WG/charter-201910.html

Here is a diff from the current charter:
 https://www.w3.org/Payments/WG/charter-201910-diff.html

For more background on the (proposed) scheduling of the Payment Request 1.0 Proposed Recommendation, see:
 https://www.w3.org/blog/wpwg/2019/10/28/the-evolution-of-payment-request-api/

Please indicate one of the following in your response:

1. Support the proposal.

2. Request some changes, but support the proposal even if suggested changes are not taken into account.

3. Request some changes, and do not support the proposal unless the changes are taken into account.

4. Do not support the proposal (please provide rationale).

5. Support the consensus of the Web Payments Working Group.

6. Abstain.

We invite you to include rationale in your response.

If there is strong consensus by 8 November 2019 (10am ET) for the proposal, it will carry.

==========================
Formal Objections

* If you wish your LACK of support to publish to be conveyed to the Director and reviewed, please include the phrase "FORMAL OBJECTION" in your response and be sure to include substantive arguments or rationale. The W3C Director takes Formal Objections seriously, and therefore they typically require significant time and effort to address.

* Silence will be taken to mean there is no Formal Objection.

* If there are Formal Objections, the Chairs plan to contact the individual(s) who made them to see whether there are changes that would address the concern and increase consensus to publish.

For more information, see:
https://www.w3.org/2019/Process-20190301/#Consensus

--
Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>