Re: [Agenda] 27 June WPWG call

Hi all,

I wanted to expand a little on the topic of "Risk assessment vs privacy"
just to set the context and ensure those interested in this discussion make
sure to join.

This is one of those "meta" topics that I think we'd all benefit from
discussing widely. In short, there are two sides to this:

On the one hand, the payments industry prioritises security over most else
and specifically goes to great lengths to assess the risk of authorizing a
payment that may be fraudulent. The logic to authorize a payment is seldom
binary, it's often a pretty fuzzy assessment based on various risk factors.
The greatest tool for this is data. Lots of contextual data about the
transaction including device fingerprints, user data, location data and
more.

On the other hand, we have the privacy focused members of the Web community
who are battling against the prevalent data collection that happens online
to facilitate the advertising industry's need for better ad-targeting.

As you can see these two groups' requirements are at odds, even though
their motives are not so even if we can just understand each other's point
of view I think that's a good start.