Re: FPWD-ready Web Payments HTTP API and HTTP Messages specs

Thanks for the clarity. There is nothing new here but it helps me at least
understand some of the design motivations and reassure me I'm not crazy (a
little sure but not totally nuts).

I think there is a big disconnect here between design motivations and use
cases or there are use cases here that I am not thinking of.

The design motivations are to replicate what we are doing in the browser
API via HTTP but what is the use case for this? The architecture of the
browser API is centered around the browser as a mediator on behalf of a
human-user who must make decisions during the process like selecting a
payment app. Where does a mediator fit in when there is no UI via a
browser? What payments are conducted in this manner today?

I see use cases like content payments where a user requests a resource,
gets back a 402, and the browser responds by using a registered payment app
to process the payment request and ultimately respond via HTTP. But why
does this need HTTP APIs to register or manage payment apps?

For the IoT use cases, why would a device that is making a payment have
multiple payment apps and payment mediator components? That seems like a
massive over-complication for a system where there is no user interaction?

The predominant use case for HTTP APIs in payments is between the payer and
payee directly (where the payee may be represented by some payment
app/wallet and the payee may also be represented by their PSP). There is no
"mediator" role.

So, as I said in my comments on the CfC, while I think we need to do this
work I don't think the current spec reflects a clear picture of what is out
there today in terms of HTTP APIs that can be "standardized" nor does it
represent a design that appears to accommodate the many use cases (like
IoT) for which this API is purported to address.

Looking forward to the TPAC discussion