Re: Polyfills/Wireframes for the browser API proposals

Hi,

Not exactly a polyfill, but to get some hands-on experience with the
Payment Request spec and web payments in general, I've put together an
experimental build with Opera for Android. It has Payment Request support
based on a Chromium patch from Rouslan along with PayPal's Braintree Java
SDK [1] as payment app.

I've simply used the Java version of Braintree's drop-in UI on the client,
and I have created an test merchant site in Node.js, which is hooked up
towards Braintree's test sandbox [2].

I can't say it really shows the full potential of the payment request API,
but it does show that the underlying flow works with PayPal's system. One
interesting aspect with the Braintree API is that it lets the user choose
between payment instruments, for example between credit cards or a PayPal
account. If the user chooses PayPal, this would then come in addition to
any instruments presented by the browser. This is completely transparent to
the merchant site and the payment API though, since the instrument chosen
is baked into the nonce returned from the Braintree server (see [1] for
details).

[1] https://developers.braintreepayments.com/start/overview
[2] https://www.braintreepayments.com/get-started

Cheers,