Re: Review of Payment Apps Proposal

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 2:50 PM, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> No, in fact I've argued for the opposite. It's entirely reasonable for us
> to develop v2 of a registration API without having to go back and change
> a dependency in the Payment Request API. They should be independent so
> that they can proceed independently.

Huh?  I really don't understand.  Payment App registration is a fundamental
requirement of this ecosystem.  The browser payment request API would have
nothing to communicate with if there are no payment apps registered.
Certainly the test environment (as I am designing it) registers a payment
app with the implementation under test so that we can process messages from
and to the user agent just as we will model those messages from the
"payee".  A normative reference in a W3C spec says "this spec requires that
this other spec be in the environment too, as it DEPENDS upon this other
spec".  Surely you are not proposing that we push out a version of the
browser payment api that does not require support for payment app
registration?

--
Shane McCarron
Projects Manager, Spec-Ops