Re: OWL Full Features in QRG

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de> wrote:
> [...]
I agree

> Because it is quite possible that I want to / have to use this card when
> working with old ontologies. I wouldn't really want to have the "special"
> features in a separate section, but rather along with the other features
> belonging to the same category. But I would appreciate if there were a
> *small* marker placed nearby a feature telling what's special with them. For
> example, if a term is deprecated, I would consider this relevant knowledge
> for my work, e.g., even if I were required to leave the old term in the
> ontology for the moment, I won't add additional occurrences, and could plan
> for a future redesign.

That may be applicable to owl:distinctMembers, owl:DeprecatedClass and
owl:DeprecatedProperty. For owl:DataRange and  owl:OntologyProperty,
the situation may be different: rdfs:Datatype has been used in too
many places, giving the alternative owl:DataRange syntax for each of
its occurance maybe unnecessary; for owl:OntologyProperty, that would
be quite confusing if we list the 3 OP both as OP and Annotation
Properties.

> Such a card is good for learning by doing: One looks something up once or
> twice when one stumbles over it, and afterwards one knows about it and its
> special aspects, but still have the helpful card around, if one forgets
> about it again. But then it would be un-helpful if some terms were not
> mentioned in the card.

Agreed

> So to summarize: I would keep the terms in, and even along with the other
> terms (no separate section), but with some marker ("D" = "deprecated" for
> DataRange, "L" = "legacy" for most others, perhaps really "R" = "RDF-Based
> Semantics" for OntologyProperty (not clear on this)).

Seen discussion above. The proposed markers, there are also problems:
for "L" - if a term is not officially deprecated, its status is not
really "legacy" in a formal way; for "R" - the problem is ontology
properties are treated as annotation properties in OWL 2 DL, that's
they are not purely only available in RDF-based semantics.

There is a side issue not related to QRG: if the use of
"owl:OntologyProperty" is only an OWL 2 Full feature, does that mean
all OWL 1 DL ontologies in the RDF syntax that use
"owl:OntologyProperty" or a non-predefined "owl:OntologyProperty"
(predefined ones will be annotation property) will be OWL 2 Full
ontologies?

> Michael
>
> --
> Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
> Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)
> Tel  : +49-721-9654-726
> Fax  : +49-721-9654-727
> Email: michael.schneider@fzi.de
> WWW  : http://www.fzi.de/michael.schneider
> FZI Forschungszentrum Informatik an der Universität Karlsruhe
> Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
> Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
> Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts, Az 14-0563.1, RP Karlsruhe
> Vorstand: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Rüdiger Dillmann, Dipl. Wi.-Ing. Michael Flor,
> Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Wolffried Stucky, Prof. Dr. Rudi Studer
> Vorsitzender des Kuratoriums: Ministerialdirigent Günther Leßnerkraus

Jie Bao
http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~baojie