Re: Votes to advance documents to LC and CR

Ian - I think these are all necessary, but I think there are some
others we need for QL and RL - particularly since we claim these to be
related to RDBMS technologies, I think we need to see that validated.
  But please note the following (also addresses what Sandro stated
about OWL Full in his email) -- in WOWG we had tests in our test set
that tested every single feature (i.e. each possible vocabulary item)
added to RDF(S) by OWL - so that the criteria that required every test
be passable meant that every feature of Full (and also of the others)
was at least separately implementable.  The 80% was not meant to show
that many features could be supported together - and it also included
some where the expectation was that a DL reasoner would not be able to
properly handle (and there were a lot of details in the test set about
what these meant - see the OWL 1 test case document)
  I think Michael or someone needs to go through the current OWL 2
design vs. the tests, and make sure we have something in the CR
results that gaurantees that every feature is implementable - the 80%
should then also be included (or something similar) for the same reason.
  So I think Ian provides a great starting place - but as the original
OWL was only differentiating 3 things, and the new one at least 5
(Full, DL, RL, QL, EL) we have some extra responsibilities.   Also
because the rationales for some of the profiles are different than the
ones in OWL 1 (particularly, where QL and RL refer to RDBMS
technology) we must show that the claimed benefits are realizable in
implementations.
  So these are what I would hope we would work towards.
   -JH
p.s. Would also be useful as an internal document to do what we did
with the OWL 1 criteria and identify current candidates we think can
handle what is being proposed - based on my experience from WOWG, when
we presented the Exit Criterion to the Director, he wanted some
evidence that our proposed time frames were realistic - by having
candidates we were able to seriously shorten the time (if I recall
correctly, without that we would have been forced to have at least a 6
month CR)

On May 20, 2009, at 11:39 AM, Ian Horrocks wrote:

> After discussions with Alan and Sandro I redrafted the "candidate"
> CR exit criteria [1] in a way that I hope meets some of the concerns
> that have been expressed. Hopefully they are at least a sensible
> starting point for our discussion.
>
> Ian
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/CR_Exit_Criteria

"Con un poco de semántica ya se consigue ir muy lejos"

Prof James Hendler				http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~hendler, @jahendler,
twitter
Tetherless World Constellation Chair
Computer Science Dept