RE: Votes to advance documents to LC and CR

Hi!

In my opinion, these "typical exit criteria" only make sense for "typical"
W3C specifications: For languages such as HTML or XML it will generally be
justified to require two working proof-of-concept implementations within
the few weeks after the release as a CR. However, for OWL (1 or 2), I
consider the situation to be very different, because implementing an OWL
reasoner (DL or Full) is inherently difficult and non-obvious.

Imagine we wouldn't be in the convenient situation that there are already
several well-working reasoners for most of our profiles, with many
implementers being participants of the WG. What could we realistically
expect from the CR phase to receive as implementation experience from third
parties? Hardly anything, I guess, unless we extended the CR phase to a very
long time.

This has nothing to do with OWL /2/. If we were now in the situation to create
a first "web ontology language", only with the features of OWL 1 or maybe even
less, I believe there wouldn't be a big chance to get much relevant feedback
from the "industry", compared to the quality that one could expect for HTML
and friends, unless there are implementers around with exceptional expertise
in computational logics having almost-ready implementation waiting.

For the RDF-Based Semantics, as all of you will know, it will be particularly
problematic to "show a complete implementation" (not to mention two of them),
or to only have every feature readily implemented by some implementation. Of
course, the situation for OWL 2 Full hasn't become worse compared to OWL 1.

You will possibly imagine where I stand in this question: I am against having
any unrealistic exit criteria for OWL 2, and in particular for the RDF-Based
Semantics. Looking at my current work-in-progress test suite, I consider it
likely that a non-fake implementation can succeed on most (80%?) or even all
of the test cases in a not so far future, but hardly within the scope of the
upcoming CR phase.

(Faking is, of course, always trivially possible, by either hard
encoding all tests, or by declaring every test to be "extra-credit",
and so the exit criteria could still be met, but...).

Maybe the process document is not flexible enough for complex languages such
as OWL. Perhaps, a WG should be allowed to explicitly mark a specification
as "complex", and in such a case (if public and AC reps buy this) it will
be sufficient to "show convincing evidence (including argumentation) that
significant parts of the spec will be implementable in reasonable time and
with reasonable effort".

The bottom line is that I would prefer to have rather weaker than stronger
exit criteria of the discussed form for OWL 2.

Regards,
Michael