Re: versioning in NF&R

Looks good to me. I suggested a couple of possible changes below, but
neither is critical.

Ian

On 14 May 2009, at 15:44, Peter F.Patel-Schneider wrote:

> LCC J4 mentions that versioning is good and asks for a place where
> users
> can find out about it.  However, NF&R doesn't mention this.
>
> I propose to add something like the following to NF&R.  If there is no
> problem, I'll just go ahead and do it.
>
> peter
>

> 2.6.3: Locating and Versioning OWL 2 Ontologies
>
> In OWL 1 ontologies can be stored as Semantic Web documents, and
> ontologies can import other ontologies.  In OWL 2 this is slightly
> cleared up, making it clear that ontology importing is by location.

"slightly cleared up, making it clear ..." sounds strange. How about:
"This is the same in OWL 2, and it is made clearer that importing is
by location."

> OWL 2 also clears up the relationship between an ontology name
> (IRI) and
> its location and, in response to several requests, provides a simple
> versioning mechanism by means of version names (IRIs).  Each OWL 2
> ontology may have an ontology IRI, which is used to identify the
> ontology. OWL 2 ontologies may also have version IRIs, which are
> used to
> identify the version of the ontology.
>
> An OWL 2 ontology should be retrievable by using its version IRI,
> if it
> has one.  One of the OWL 2 ontologies that share an ontology IRI (the
> ontology versions) should be retrievable at the ontology IRI - this
> ontology is the current one of the versions.  If it doesn't matter
> which
> of the versions is desired then importing can use the ontology IRI,
> but
> if a particular version is desired then the version IRI is used when
> importing.

Is this last paragraph needed? Seems to me that it could be replaced
by a pointer to the relevant section of SS&AS.