Re: ACTION-308 Review QRG

Hi Bijan

Thanks for the review. That's very helpful.

I need to apologize to you and other reviewers of QRG for not being
able to respond promptly, as I'm traveling for the whole week. Below
is some of my initial response to your comment. I will try to
incorporate them into the wiki once I get back to office on next
Monday.

Jie

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 5:25 AM, Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk> wrote:
> My review is predicated on one condition: that the HTML layout ends up in 3
> column, two page format. That was my understanding when we agreed to this
> document, and that continues to be my understanding. If that is going to be
> changed, we need a WG decision.

Yes, you have shown 3-column HTML is possible, and I'd like to try the
formatting once the content is finalized. Whether it will be 2-page,
that's only hope for now, as when I print it out from wiki, it's 10
pages long. We have to use some layout tricks to reduce its length.

> I would like that the notational conventions be a bit more interactive.
> First:
>
> """We use the following notation conventions: unless stated otherwise, "C"
> is an OWL class, "D" is a data range, "P" and "Q" are object properties, "R"
> and "S" are data properties, "i" is an OWL individual, "u" and "v" are
> literals, "n" is a non-negative integer. All names may have subscripts. "[a1
> … an]" stands for a list."""
>
> doesn't mention "x", which I presume is a bnode. Perhaps "_" would be
> better? In any case, it needs definition.

Agree, will do.

> Second, it'd be nice if when I moused over "C" I got a tooltip saying "C is
> a class expression".

Good idea, although I don't know how exactly for this moment. Some
javascript may be in need. Actually Ivan has other suggestions that
require javascript. I will try out.

> Typo: s/if D presents/if D is present/

Fixed

> For the highlighting of new stuff, I'd prefer if the whole line were
> highlighted.

Ivan has suggested not using highlighting, but using other tricks like
color or font. Would you be happy with that?

> Typo s/reificated form/reified form/

Fixed

> 2.9 should have some indication of when the reified form can/should be used.

Will do

> I think a little diagram or example would maybe work better for the global
> restricitons. Otherwise, I'd just make a pointer to the full account..I'm
> skeptical that people can follow it. Esp. as the conditions mix in property
> and non property ones.

Diagram or example may be too much for  a guide. The ideal place would
be in Syntax or in Primer. If you believe it is too dense for usual
users, I'm happy to remove this section, simply say "some global
restrictions apply, please refer to Syntax"

> 4.1 needs to be updated (e.g., owl:realPlus must go)

Will do (and check for other data types as well)

> I think that the facets and the datatypes might be meaningfully combined. I
> think it's more important to show what the facets *are* rather than the
> syntax of the facets.

Maybe one or two mini example on facets?

--
Jie Bao
http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~baojie