Re: Testing the (RL) testing...

On Mittwoch, 3. Juni 2009, Michael Schneider wrote:
> Mike Smith answered to Ivan Herman:
<snip>

> Another scenario is when I have a test case that falls syntactically
> outside OWL 2 DL, but an RL/ruleset-based reasoner is still expected
> to succeed on the test case when implementing the rule set (and
> by this using a subset of the RDF-Based Semantics).
>
> I have many test cases of this form in my currently constructed
> "rdfbased" test suite, and I am in the progress of marking them
> all as "RL test cases". (Actually, I'm refining my suite to
> have a sub suite that systematically covers all of RL/rules,
> just for Ivan's interest :) -- well, actually even for all
> of W3C's RDF-based entailment regimes, but that's offtopic here).
>
> In the Test-Wiki, I tried to represent this scenario in the
>
> following way:
>   |semantics=full
>   |rl=In RL
>   |dl=Not in DL
>
> But I am uncertain, if this is ok. The output in the Wiki is only
>
> [[
> Syntactic Species/Profile 	 OWL 2 Full
>
> Semantics 	This test is applicable under the RDF-based semantics.
>             It should not be considered under the direct semantics
>             because it does not satisfy the syntactic constraints
>             of OWL 2 DL.
> ]]
>
> So, "RL" isn't mentioned at all in the rendered version.
>
> I guess, by "rl=In RL" it is basically meant that the ontologies
> conform /syntactically/ to OWL 2 RL, which means they have to satisfy
> the syntactic restrictions of the DL-ish variant of OWL 2 RL.
>
> But why don't we simply re-interpret this for the case of OWL 2 RL,
> so that the above combination (semantics=full, dl=no, rl=yes) means
> that the testcase can safely be consumed by systems implementing the
> RL-ruleset? This should then also show up in the Test-Wiki, as
> something like:
>
>   Syntactic Species/Profile 	 OWL 2 Full (RL=ok)

Right, the application logic of those templates has been designed when we were
still using "DL" and "Full" even for semantics, and when all profiles were
assumed to be sublanguages of DL. This should obviously be changed now -- I
will take care of this. Maybe we should also check if there are any
ramifications for the Conformance document (but I believe that this has been
updated many times since these changes happened).

-- Markus

> Cheers,
> Michael
>
> --
> Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
> Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)
> Tel  : +49-721-9654-726
> Fax  : +49-721-9654-727
> Email: michael.schneider@fzi.de
> WWW  : http://www.fzi.de/michael.schneider
> FZI Forschungszentrum Informatik an der Universität Karlsruhe
> Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
> Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
> Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts, Az 14-0563.1, RP Karlsruhe
> Vorstand: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Rüdiger Dillmann, Dipl. Wi.-Ing. Michael Flor,
> Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Wolffried Stucky, Prof. Dr. Rudi Studer
> Vorsitzender des Kuratoriums: Ministerialdirigent Günther Leßnerkraus

Markus Krötzsch
Institut AIFB, Universität Karlsruhe (TH), 76128 Karlsruhe
phone +49 (0)721 608 7362          fax +49 (0)721 608 5998
mak@aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de          www  http://korrekt.org