Re: FW: TopQuadrant response to OWL2 LC

Michael Schneider wrote:
> [...]

Agreed.

>> Ie, having
>> what you propose does look indeed better. My only cosmetic comment is
>> the usage of the term 'subsume' which, although we use it in our
>> conversations and logicians know what it means, it does not appear among
>> the usual RDF terms.
>
> Fair enough.
>
>> May I propose, instead:
>>
>> q owl:superProperty (SEQ p_1....)
>>
>> which seems to be closer to the term subProperty?
>>
>> Of course, the question arises whether
>>
>> q owl:superProperty p
>>
>> is also valid where 'p' is a property and not a list...
>
> I'm not so much for the "subsumes" here. But I would really like to see three aspects satisfied by such a property name:
>
> 1) It should somehow talk about the "chain".
>
> 2) It should somehow talk about the "sub".
>
> 3) It should be clear what the super property and what the sub property chain is.
>
> This all gets reasonably clear from my proposal, I think, but not from yours: 1) is completely missing, and 3) is at least not perfectly clear.
>
> However, I admit that point 3) is certainly not the most important point, because sub-property-chain triples will be asymmetric, having a property name on the LHS and a list of property names on the RHS. So confusion is actually not really possible.

O.k., I take your points. But I am afraid of the confusion created by
the LHS and the RHS, more exactly the assymetry with rdfs:subPropertyOf

What was wrong with having something like

(SEQ p_1 ... p_n) owl:subPropertyChainOf q .

Though I am afraid I know: it looks quite awful in RDF/XML because the
parseType="collection" cannot be used:-( Sigh... It is o.k. in turtle...

If this is indeed the case, then I would weaken your case:-) and go for

q owl:superOfPropertyChain (SEQ p_1 ... p_n)

ain't nice, I know... but avoids confusions with LHS and RHS...

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153