Profiles again (was Re: draft response for LC comment 26 (a and b) )

My point is exactly that the folks who know about this stuff and care
about Sem Web will indeed know about the profiles (whether note or
Rec), but the greater world, who will see what beomes a Rec (and the
AC that decides what becmes a Rec), will not get so much to try to
understand in one fell swoop - so it's really about messaging to the
outside world - and I think that is very important at this point where
we're finally seeing some uptake on OWL, but it is still fragile.
  -JH

On Feb 17, 2009, at 12:07 AM, Sandro Hawke wrote:

> [...]
> already too late.  OWL EL and QL and RL exist.  If we never publish
> another draft of Profiles (or publish it as a Note or whatever),
> they'll
> still be out there on the web, and people will still be talking and
> thinking about them.  The fact that they are in a Note vs a Rec is
> not a
> distinction that matters all that much.  (Of course it DOES matter,
> but
> it's a confusing difference to most folks, ... just like QL vs RL.  My
> point is it's better to help people with the latter confusion
> instead of
> the former.)
>
>    -- Sandro

>>> FWIW, I think it's easier (and more useful) to explain the
>>> difference
>>> between QL and RL [1] than the difference between CR and Rec [2].
>>> It
>>> seems to me like this "hold back" strategy would leave people
>>> (rightly)
>>> confused about W3C process instead of trying to understand the
>>> differences between the profiles.
>>>
>>>     -- Sandro
>>>

>>> [1] They are both ways to make queries of a database and have some
>>> OWL
>>>   inferencing done to give you additional query results.  With QL,
>>> the
>>>   data is left as-is, and the queries are re-written to also return
>>>   OWL inferences.  With RL, the *queries* are left as-is, but a
>>>   process is run to add more data (the OWL inferences) to the
>>>   database.  The choice between the two depends on which inferences
>>>   you care about (some can only be implemented with one approach,
>>> some
>>>   with the other), and the resource/performance demands of your
>>>   application.  [This is off the top of my head, trying to be clear
>>>   and simple.]
>>>
>>>   [After writing that, I (as a user) want a clear and simple table
>>> of
>>>   which OWL features are in each, making it easy to see which are in
>>>   both.   That doesn't have to come from OWL-WG.]
>>>
>>> [2] A "Candidate Recommendation" (CR) is a W3C specification that is
>>>   mature enough that people should try to implement it, but the W3C
>>>   has not yet determined whether it has been sufficiently
>>> implemented
>>>   to demonstrate that it *can* be implemented.  [This is off the
>>> top of
>>>   my head, trying to be simple and clear.  Since I expect QL and RL
>>>   be easy to implement, I don't really see how they could
>>> legitimately
>>>   be stuck in CR.]
>>>

>> "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would
>> it?." - Albert Einstein
>>
>> Prof James Hendler				http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~hendler
>> Tetherless World Constellation Chair
>> Computer Science Dept
>> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy NY 12180

it?." - Albert Einstein