Re: DRAFT response to comment #54, Jan Wielemaker

On 15 Feb 2009, at 09:35, Ivan Herman wrote:

> Bijan Parsia wrote:
>> On 15 Feb 2009, at 09:17, Ivan Herman wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> [[[
>>> ... Ie, the situation has _not_ changed compared to OWL 1.
>>> ]]]
>>>
>>> ie, his worries are unfunded.
>>
>> I hope they are unfunded, but they are definitely unfounded :)
>>

> Oops:-) Well, why don't we say they are hopefully (for him) funded but
> unfounded:-)

Well, I'd like his *work* to be funding, not his unfounded worries :)

>>> If he could live with OWL 1 then he could
>>> live easily with OWL 2. That is the essence of what we have to
>>> say, the
>>> rest is cherry on the cake, in fact... Let us not worry whether he
>>> will
>>> have to change his toolchain later (eg, for RIF); this is not the
>>> subject for a LC comment response in my view...
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Ivan
>>>
>>> P.S. Jan's systems, based on Prolog, is primarily targeted at OWL
>>> Full
>>> applications,
>>
>> Except for some stuff that punning and annotations now covers, I
>> don't
>> think this is *substantively* true. But an argument for another
>> day :)
>>

> Sorry. What I meant is: I know that Jan's system is primarily used by
> people (at least in the Netherlands) who concentrate on OWL Full-like
> applications.

What's an OWL Full-like application? To my knowledge, the main OWL
Fullism is things like subpropertying rdfs:label, which is not, IMHO,
interestingly OWL Full. (I.e., it can be accommodated via punning or
via annotationSubPropertyOf).

> I did not mean to say that a prolog environment is
> inherently OWL Full only.

I didn't think that, but I think Jan et al overstate their use of OWL
Full per se, or rather, OWL Full features that are not in OWL DL.

For example, do they rely on owl:Thing being infinite? (No.) On non-
simple roles in number expressions? (I seriously doubt it.) Syntax
reflection? (In a sort of trivial way, i.e., Jan uses owl.owl as a
kind of bootstrapping, but it's hardly necessary as all that could be
replaced with a bit of Prolog.) Existential bnodes in class
expressions? (I *really* doubt it...he doesn't use existential bnodes
at all, afaik.)

Part of the fundamental, ongoing, problems with OWL Full and OWL Full
advocacy is that people conflate OWL Full with a style of presentation
(triples). This leads to *all* sorts of confusion :(