Re: DRAFT response to comment #54, Jan Wielemaker

On 15 Feb 2009, at 09:17, Ivan Herman wrote:
[snip]
> [[[
> ... Ie, the situation has _not_ changed compared to OWL 1.
> ]]]
>
> ie, his worries are unfunded.

I hope they are unfunded, but they are definitely unfounded :)

> If he could live with OWL 1 then he could
> live easily with OWL 2. That is the essence of what we have to say,
> the
> rest is cherry on the cake, in fact... Let us not worry whether he
> will
> have to change his toolchain later (eg, for RIF); this is not the
> subject for a LC comment response in my view...
>
> Cheers
>
> Ivan
>
> P.S. Jan's systems, based on Prolog, is primarily targeted at OWL Full
> applications,

Except for some stuff that punning and annotations now covers, I don't
think this is *substantively* true. But an argument for another day :)

> so I believe his worries is really based on the false
> assumptions that _another_, non triple based syntax is to be used.

Note that the Profiles are easy to implement on tope of Prolog (Arity
did one for EL++ way back). So, in fact, I'd argue that he's in better
shape as he can implement stuff with reasonable expectation of getting
the same results on other systems. Which makes his stuff a more
attractive platform to start with even if its not adequate/appropriate
for deployment.