RE: Datatype (Map) Conformance Strangeness

Hi!

I still believe that we should avoid talking about "datatype maps" in the
Conformance document, but should talk about "sets of datatypes", instead. I
think that it doesn't provide any relevant information to readers of this
document to talk about datatype maps, and it distracts from the really
relevant bits. Talking about a datatype map instead of a set of datatypes is
a bit like talking about the bottle, if one really wants to talk about the
wine inside. A datatype map is more or less just a container for a set of
datatypes, and the included datatypes are what really counts when we talk
about conformance.

In particular, I consider it to be more confusing than helpful to say in
Conformance that there are two notions of a datatype map in our spec. This
may sound to people as if the set of datatypes supported by the RDF-Based
Semantics is different from the set of datatypes supported by "OWL 2".
Neither is this the case nor should it be the case (modulo rdf:XMLLiteral,
perhaps).

What is actually different are the two definitions of a datatype /map/. But
my understanding is that a datatype map is mainly an "adapter" to "connect"
a /set/ of datatypes (for example the OWL 2 datatypes) to an interpretation
of either the RDF-Based Semantics or the Direct Semantics. And since the
definitions of an interpretation are different for the two semantics, it
shouldn't be too surprising that the definitions of a datatype /map/ are (at
least slightly) different, either.

Nevertheless, there are a still few points, which probably should be
changed:

* What has been called "OWL 2 Full Datatype Map" is now called "OWL 2
RDF-Based Datatype Map"
  <http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/RDF-Based_Semantics#def-owldatatypemap>

* Maybe we should at least rename the title of the section to "Datatype
Conformance" instead of "Datatype Map Conformance".

* It is not really true that the "OWL 2 Datatype Map" is defined in Section
4 of the Structural Spec. This section primarily only specifies the /set/ of
datatypes of OWL 2 and its properties. There is only a slight hint
concerning datatype /maps/ in the beginning of this section (and I wouldn't
be unhappy to see it completely removed). The actual definition of the
datatype /map/ is in Section 2.1 of the Direct Semantics:
<http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Semantics#Vocabulary>.

Michael