Re: ISSUE-137 (including XML includes)

Hi Jim, Bijan, Alan, Peter

Just like Jim, I understand both sides of the discussion, and I am not
sure I know the answer. In fact, I am not sure this is something this
group has to solve.

- First of all, in my view, using or not using XInclude with RDF/XML is
a no brainer. RDF/XML is an XML application, XInclude is a clearly
defined technology of the XML family, both are W3C Recommendations, ie,
using XInclude in RDF/XML is possible (whether RDF implementations
understand that or not is a different question). Just as it is possible
to add additional directives into an RDF/XML file and let it through,
say, an XSLT script before processing it into an RDF Graph. I am not
sure the OWL group has actually anything to say about this (apart from,
maybe, drawing attention to the fact of possibly using it in, say, the
Primer)

- I agree with Alan, though, that the issue of other serializations is
of course real, too. Pushing this under carpet saying that there are no
other W3C standard serializations doesn't sound quite right for the
community. Other serializations are used in practice, whether they are
W3C recommendations or not. Turtle is the obvious example and, actually,
as Sandro pointed out, RIF will provide another possible serialization
of RDF, too.

Having said that, the question that comes to my mind is whether a more
general inclusion mechanism is something this group has to solve or not.
Indeed (and that is where I might be wrong), I am not sure this is an
OWL specific issue. What makes it so? Isn't it some sort of a more
general RDF or, rather, RDF syntactic issue of declaratively including
one graph into an other? If this is not OWL specific, than I am not sure
an owl:include would be the right way of doing it. Ie, This may be
either an issue of the individual _RDF_ serializations, or maybe a more
general issue to be taken up if an when a new RDF Core Working group
comes around. Not this group's.

If I am right, maybe this group will want to record this issue on the
RDF comment list (www-rdf-comments@w3.org) which will have to be looked
at if and when a new RDF group comes along, but that is it...

- Jim, answering more directly your question: the XInclude text
explicitly says:

[[[
XInclude [...] specifies a media-type specific (XML into XML)
transformation. It defines a specific processing model for merging
information sets.  XInclude processing occurs at a low level, often by a
generic XInclude processor which makes the resulting information set
available to higher level applications.
]]] http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xinclude-20061115/#rel-xlink

Ie, I do not believe it is possible to (mis-)use XInclude via some
tricks to use non-XML syntax. The way I read XInclude is that the
inclusion would, conceptually, take place *before* the resulting XML
Infoset is transformed into an RDF Graph.

My 2 pence...

Cheers

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/