Re: ACTION-215 Review Manchester Syntax Document

From: Michael Smith <msmith@clarkparsia.com>
Subject: ACTION-215 Review Manchester Syntax Document
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 17:15:23 -0400

> I have completed my review of the Manchester Syntax document by making
> some small edits and adding several review comments [1], dispatching
> ACTION-215.
>
> In addition, the document specifies a mapping from Manchester syntax to
> the functional syntax.  The mapping in the other direction, while
> intuitive, is not specified.  I don't believe it a requirement, but
> think the forward mapping would be nice to have.

Hmm.  The forward mapping is going to be a bit tricky, not because of
technical issues, but because the "best" mapping may not be completely
obvious.  The easiest mapping to specify would be to have each axiom
turn into a frame, but this is probably not the best mapping.  A much
better mapping would be to gather "all" the information about a URL, for
some definition of "all", and turn it into one frame.  I suppose that
stating the easy mapping and also stating that tools may want to do some
coalescing as long as the result corresponds to the original might be
best.

This would be a significant addition, and is not likely to get into the
document before the next F2F.