Re: rdf:list vocabulary

On May 28, 2008, at 12:51 PM, Michael Schneider wrote:
[snip]
> These syntax related uses of lists can IMO be clearly distinguished
> from
> custom usage. In particular, the currently applied method of a
> "canonical
> parsing process" in the reverse RDF mapping can first translate graphs
> matching these forms into the respective functional syntax
> expressions, and
> then delete them from the source graph.Afterwards, all remaining
> uses f
> list vocabulary are regarded as custom use.

This sort of punning has been done in Pellet for years. I believe
I've proposed it a couple of times already :)
[snip]
> I, personally, would appreciate to be able to model things like
> this... not
> only in OWL Full. :-)

Using rdf:list for modeling is, IMHO, always a mistake of some sort
(after all, they are *not* lists in the standard sense since you
don't have, e.g., transitive closure). Your example is a good example
of what not to do (IMHO).

However, this is pretty common. Better to discourage it by whinging
than by fiat.