Re: Requirement for ontology header

On May 28, 2008, at 2:08 AM, Rinke Hoekstra wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I like the idea of being able to do this (very sensible on the
> semantic web), but doesn't this interact with the imports section
> as well? Unless of course by 'import' you meant 'load'...
>
> An RDF/XML file containing only PropertyAssertions does not contain
> an OntologyURI or VersionURI (as there is no owl:Ontology element),

I proposed repairing the issue of there being no ontology element.
But yes, there is no OntologyURI or VersionURI.

> so it cannot be imported from another ontology.

There may very well be repairs needed to the imports and versioning
section. However, imports is by location, first, so locating the
document to import isn't a problem. I had a look and saw this:

"When opening an ontology form a location u, OWL 2 tools should check
whether u matches the ontology or the version URI according to the
mentioned three constraints."

So this is a "should", not a "must".

There is also: "The ontology and the version URI, if present,
determine the physical location of an ontology O "

Here we have "if present".

Is there somewhere else where it is stated more strongly?

-Alan