Re: [FULL] ISSUE-119: the other approach

Ian Horrocks wrote:

> I talked to Peter about this and we agreed that Jeremy's proposal looks
> promising.

Please see the three atatchments (Carroll & Turner) to
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2008May/0053

Abstract:
We show that OWL1 Full without the comprehension principles is
consistent, and does not break most RDF graphs that do not use the OWL
vocabulary. We discuss the role of the comprehension principles in OWL
semantics, and how to maintain the relationship between OWL Full and OWL
DL by reinterpreting the comprehension principles as permitted steps
when checking an entailment, rather than as model theoretic principles
constraining the universe of interpretation. Starting with such a graph
we build a Herbrand model, using, amongst other things, an RDFS ruleset,
and syntactic analogs of the semantic “if and only if” conditions on the
RDFS and OWL vocabulary. The ordering of these steps is carefully
chosen, along with some initialization data, to break the cyclic
dependencies between the various conditions. The normal Herbrand
interpretation of this graph as its own model then suffices.
The main result follows by using an empty graph in this construction.
We discuss the relevance of our results, both to OWL2, and more
generally to a future revision of the Semantic Web recommendations.

Abstract:
This report is an appendix to report HPL-2008-59. It gives a worked
example of the construction used in the proof from that report. For
finiteness, a reduced datatype map consisting of only xsd:boolean is
used. Each of the graphs in the construction is listed explicitly,
with some redundancy eliminated. The final Herbrand graph contains about
15,000 triples.

Jeremy