RE: Proposal to resolve ISSUE-86

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 19:53 +0000, Boris Motik wrote:

> Some of the existing proposals were similar; however, they also proposed to include the following triple in order to axiomatize
> $$pseudoblank$$P and P as inverse of each other:
>
> (15) <$$pseudoblank$$P, owl:inverseOf, P>
>
> Note, however, that we do not really need this additional triple: on the OWL Full side, we can simply repeat the semantic conditions
> of owl:inverseOf for owl:inverseObjectPropertyExpression. In other words, we just say that a triple of the form <x,
> owl:inverseObjectPropertyExpression, y> places a constraint on an interpretation that IEXT(x) = Inverse(IEXT(y)).

Yes, but doesn't including the additional triple make the behavior of
existing (i.e., OWL 1.0 and RDFS) tools match what we want?

> Finally, note that we need both owl:inverseOf and owl:inverseObjectPropertyExpression. To understand why, consider the following
> example ontology.
>
> (16) InverseObjectProperties( InverseObjectProperty( P1 ) P2 )
>
> The mapping should then produce the following RDF triples:
>
> (17) <$$pseudo$$1, owl:inverseOf, P2>
> (18) <$$pseudo$$1, owl:inverseObjectPropertyExpression, P1>
>
> This is good so, because this allows us to properly deserialize the triples: we know that (17) is to be transformed into
> InverseObjectProperties() (i.e., an axiom), and we also know that (18) is to be transformed into InverseObjectProperty() (i.e., a
> property expression). Without an explicit distinction between owl:inverseOf and owl:inverseObjectPropertyExpression, we would not be
> able to correctly reverse this mapping.

Though not syntactically equivalent, each of the possible reverse
mappings are logically equivalent, correct?  I.e., do I correctly
understand that this is another RDF round-tripping bug, present in OWL
1.0, and that you introduced owl:inverseObjectPropertyExpression to
resolve it?

Thanks,
--
Mike Smith