Re: Reminder: Imports task force meeting monday 10AM EST

From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Subject: Reminder: Imports task force meeting monday 10AM EST
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 17:09:46 -0500

> No formal agenda - we will review the proposals on the table and work towards consensus.
>
> The page is http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Imports has the list of current proposals.
>
> Please make sure that page has pointers to any materials you consider relevant.
>
> -Alan

The last edits to http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Imports, by Jeremy
http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/index.php?title=Imports&diff=3253&oldid=3242
and Boris
http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/index.php?title=Imports&diff=3273&oldid=3253
seem to indicate a coalescing around the "Imports by Location" proposal
http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Imports#Imports_is_by_Location_.28with_Version_extension.29

Here is the proposal variant that Boris put on the Wiki page on 6
Feburary with a few minor changes by me:

	Imports in OWL 1.1 are "by location and name": if an ontology O
	contains a statement "Import( someURI )", then "someURI"
	specifies the location of the imported ontology---that is, an
	OWL 1.1 implementation should access the ontology at the
	location "someURI" using the standard Internet protocols. The
	ontology located in this way MUST have the ontologyURI equal to
	"someURI".

	In some cases, however, an application might want to retrieve
	[an] imported ontology from some other location; this can be the
	case, for example, in order to implement some form of off-line
	ontology caching. In this case, an OWL 1.1 implementation MAY
	choose to replace the above described resolution mechanism with
	a [different] mechanism that from "someURI" determines the
	ontology's location. Regardless of what mechanism is used, the
	ontology located through it MUST have the ontologyURI equal to
	"someURI".

This looks fine to me, modulo handling versions.

peter