Re: nonmon mapping and punning

I know there was a later post on this but I couldn't find it :)

On 23 Jan 2008, at 15:20, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>
>> For example, making owl11:objectPropertyDomain be a subproperty of
>> rdfs:domain would remove the apparent non-monotonicity in the example
>> given.
>>
> Yes but ...
>
> the concern is what a triple based implementation would actually
> have to do - and modifying a triple in response to adding a triple
> would be a fundamental change, that is out-of-kilter with the
> design principles that we have used to date.

I was studying the Jena documentation today trying to understand this
point. Prima facie it seemed wrong since Jena is used by many editing
applications (thus can add and remove triples in response to events
quite easily) and is supposed to be a general purpose framework (I
can easily imagine --- and have built! --- systems that discard other
information upon receiving new information, e.g., a foaf store that
knew that if I become a friend of your enemy, I'm no longer your
friend). In any case I found:
	http://jena.sourceforge.net/how-to/event-handler.html
There seem to be some nice examples:
	http://jena.sourceforge.net/javadoc/com/hp/hpl/jena/rdf/listeners/
package-summary.html

It seems to me that these facilities could easily be used to handle
triple at a time updates that had the sorts of effect that the
current mapping requires. Indeed, wouldn't it work transparently with
current applications? They wouldn't need to know at all.

In fact, I think some of Jeremy's stronger statements (along the
lines of "There is no way in Jena to delete a triple when you add
one", *IIRC*) are wrong...this is exactly such a mechanism.

So, I remain confused on this point. Jeremy, could you clarify?

(I also want to point out that TopBraid Composer is Jena based and
claims OWL 1.1 support as of the Submission, I believe. Holger, the
TPC author, talks a lot about using triple oriented toolkits with OWL
and didn't mention this part of the mapping as a problem, IIRC
(pointers to places where he did are welcome). I take that as a weak,
defeasible existence proof that the mapping isn't radically at odds
with Jena.)