Re: A comment on the Primer draft, part 1 Introduction

Hi Jim,

At the F2F we had a long discussion about these documents [1], and the
straw poll showed that many of us were in favour of starting from
scratch on Overview, Guide and Reference documents. (see also Bijan's
recap of the polls in [2]) One proposal (from Bijan) was to replace
the Overview and Guide documents with a primer (another was to create
new versions in the spirit of the old ones). As we weren't sure what
that would turn out to be, Bijan was asked to write-up a draft which
we could discuss (in the UFDTF) to see whether we as a WG thought this
could be an good replacement of the 1.0 style documents.

I appreciate your concern for the current discussion, but no decision
has been made about the status of the primer, and there has been no
formal request to review from the WG chairs other than putting a
discussion of these documents on the agenda for the UFDTF meeting next
Monday.

I guess some of us (i.e. me) just got a little carried away by
excitement :)

Best,

	Rinke

[1] http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/F2F1_Minutes#User_Facing_Documents
[2] http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Experiments_with_documents#Background_on_the_Proposal

On 25 jan 2008, at 03:46, Jim Hendler wrote:

> I am unsure of the status of this document - my previous
> understanding was that it was being shown as an example of what the
> technology would allow (i.e. diferent syntax options) now it seems
> to be being reviewed as a WG document.  I have many issues with it,
> Ivan notes a couple below, and I have others -- but the key thing is
> I have not seen a WG dicussion of this approach to the primer, nor
> discussion of whether a single document like this complies to the
> charter.  So somehow it has gone from an experiment in documentation
> to being discussed as a proposed document.  I don't know if it is
> proposed as rec track or not, and I don't see appropriate discussion
> of its relation to the OWL 1.0 documents that it proposes to replace
> (the Guide, for example, is more comprehensive than this).
>  Traditionally one does not review a document until the WG has
> reached some consensus that they want that document to exist - and I
> don't see that discussion having been resolved at this point.
>  I'm sorry if I seem obstructionist, but I believe things are being
> pushed through this WG way faster, and with less consensus than WG
> process would seem to indicate, and I believe that organizations
> that are in the minority are not being appropriately listened to.
> My organization has made this concern in private to the WG chair,
> and in this case I wish to explain, in public, why I am unhappy with
> the way the documents outside of the OWL 1.1 submission, although
> mandated by our charter, are not being appropriately discussed.
>  So, in light of the above,  I want to make it clear that:
>   I believe the Working Group is reviewing a document that has not
> been appropriately discussed or developed via the W3C process, nor
> do I yet see compelling evidence that this document is compliant
> with the WG charter.
>   -Jim Hendler
>   AC rep
>   RPI
>

> On Jan 23, 2008, at 5:11 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:
>
>> Bijan, Peter,
>>
>> a small comment on
>>
>> http://webont.org/owl/documents/primer.html
>>
>> The current document says:
>>
>> [[[
>> Resource Description Framework (RDF) and Schema: Of the
>> technologies discussed in this section, RDF(S) is the closest to
>> OWL. They both have roots in logic based knowledge representation;
>> in many ways, RDF(S) can be seen as a subset of OWL; and, perhaps
>> most prominently, the primary exchange syntax for OWL has been RDF/
>> XML. However, there are differences of style, emphasis, and common
>> practice that can make relying on RDF(S) intuitions misleading when
>> working with OWL. For example, while OWL statements and expressions
>> can be encoded as RDF facts (triples), the triple view is not
>> typically a fruitful way of writing or understanding complex
>> expressions. Similarly, it is fairly common and effective to work
> [...]

Drs. Rinke Hoekstra

Email: hoekstra@uva.nl    Skype:  rinkehoekstra
Phone: +31-20-5253499     Fax:   +31-20-5253495
Web:   http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke

Leibniz Center for Law,          Faculty of Law
University of Amsterdam,            PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,             The Netherlands