Re: Consensus on ISSUE-73

There are two terms used in the process document related to decisions:
Consensus (substantial support with no formal objections) and Dissent
(at least one formal objection).  This allows quite a number of
situations, including
- neither Consensus nor Dissent (little support but no formal
  objections)
- Dissent but not substantial support (a formal objection against a
  decision that was not made?)
- Consensus with some dissatisfaction (considerable support plus some
  negative votes but no formal objections)
I suppose that there could even be Dissent to a unanimous decision,
perhaps if a chair refused to reopen a decision when a participant
wanted to change their stance.

I see quite a difference between voting against a decision and
registering a formal objection.  I don't see that the document disallows
negative votes without a formal objection (or even other stances like,
perhaps, that the decision is not one that the WG should be taking).

My belief is that the WG currently has consensus with some
dissatisfaction for two issues, 55 and 73.  Certainly neither had
unanimous support, which requires complete support (although the wording
in the document on unanimity is a bit weird, and could be read to allow
some negative votes).  I haven't heard of any formal objections being
filed for either issue or even a proximate threat to do so.  I also
believe that there was substantial support for both issues.

peter