ISSUE-93 RFC 3066 lang tags

Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> We might consider putting ISSUE-93 into play, or even dispatching it.
>
> peter

I note that Addison has reported elsewhere, that the next RFC in BCP47
has a wrinkle with respect to RFC 4646.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2008JanMar/0003

It appears to concern a feature that was written in RFC 4646 but never
actually used in practice; that has now been redesigned. The feature is
"extended language subtags" for "macro-languages" such as Chinese which
encompasses the two distinct languages of Cantonese and Mandorin

I suggest ignoring this wrinkle, and proceeding in the obvious way -
update our reference, and ensure mentioning BCP 47 in the reference.

We may find that 4646 is superceded before we get to Rec, in which case
we might want to update again. (However, it is usually ill-advised to
hold one's breadth while waiting for a standard!)

Latest draft is:
http://www.inter-locale.com/ID/draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-11.html

The macro language issue is discussed near the end of section 4.1
http://www.inter-locale.com/ID/draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-11.html#choice

Jeremy