Re: ISSUE-93 (Language tags): RFC 3066 - Tags for the Identification of Languages

Hmm.

There are two issues here.

1/ When the syntax document was changed to use Turtle quoting, the part
   about language tags dropped out, which explains why there is no use
   of the RDF.
2/ The current document points to a document that is controlled by a
   single person.  I expect that this is not appropriate for a W3C
   rec-track document.

So, I propose that this is an editorial issue and should be handled by

1/ Taking the relevant productions out of the Turtle document and
   producing a grammar that conforms more closely to the resolution of
   ISSUE-13, roughly as follows:

    constant ::= typedConstant | untypedConstant
    typedConstant ::=   string '^^' datatypeURI
    untypedConstant ::= string [ '@' languageTag ]
    languageTag ::= a language tag from RDF-4646
    string ::= '"' a Unicode string in normal form C with double
    	       	   quotes and backslashes replaced by the double
 		   quotes or backslashes preceeded by a backslash '"'

    Add wording to the effect that the quoting mechanism is a subset of
    the one used in n-triples
    http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-testcases/#ntriples

2/ Replace the reference to RFC3066 with one to RDF4646 and replace the
   one to Turtle with one to N-triples.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Bell Labs Research