Re: Proposal to close ISSUE-83 and ISSUE-8

I must admit to being confused- I thought the issue of property
chains ending in data properties has the same decidability as
inversefunctional datatypes - that is, that Uli has a suggestion we
might adopt that fixes things (Bijan - you wailed on me when you
thought i was ignoring this!) -- is there a reason these are
different?  If not, shouldn't the solution work for Issue 8 as well?
  -JH
p.s. I was told this about issue 8, I cannot tell for sure if it also
is the case for issue-83, because I don't understand the differences
well enough

On Jan 10, 2008, at 5:23 PM, Bijan Parsia wrote:

> These are both about property chains. 83 about having object
> property chains on both sides of subproperty axiom and 8 about
> having some data properties in property chain axioms.
>
> I thought that ISSUE-83 was already closed by:
> 	http://www.w3.org/mid/8B922423-FFBC-4770-9B44-560AC519B559%
> 2540gmail.com
> but it's still open in the tracker.
>
> Peter proposed closing ISSUE-8 along the same lines:
> 	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-wg/2007Dec/0154.html
>
> And that seems exactly right. I see no support from implementors
> (nor strong outcry from users). If it gets implemented in some
> reasoner before we go to last call, we could always reopen the
> issue on that new information. There is already syntax available
> for it, so as an extension to OWL 1.1 from the non-reasoner tool
> perspective, it is pretty low impact.
>
> Cheers,
> Bijan.

it?." - Albert Einstein