Re: Proposal to close ISSUE-73 (was Re: My ACTION-64 (to propose closing ISSUE-29))

Bijan-
  unclear to me CWA is really a use case, as i still don't see a
mechanism where it can be used with an owl reasoner (i.e. I don't see
finite universes solving what you used to call the Decker paradox),
but that said, I don't feel strongly about this - far as I can tell,
it will have very little impact on any communities I feel I
represent, so barring arguments I haven't yet heard, I would happily
abstain on the closing of this one
  -JH

On Jan 10, 2008, at 4:24 PM, Bijan Parsia wrote:

> I propose closing ISSUE-73 by rejecting the proposal.
>
> First I must backtrack from the conclusions in:
> 	<http://www.w3.org/mid/35A1BE3A-54A9-4D53-
> A7A2-543EA2891B35@cs.man.ac.uk>
>
> Uli and I had a brain fart. We don't need to rule out all the
> finite models, we just need to show that there is an infinite
> model. *If you have a SHIF reasoner*, you can, in principle,
> implement this *I THINK* by source preprocessing and an existing
> OWL reasoner. You can always check whether an ontology has a
> infinite model by adding a fresh class (using only fresh
> vocabulary) which is only infinitely interpretable. You can make it
> inconsistent by making a fresh individual a member of that class.
> You can  examples of such classes in various places:
>
> 	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-dev/2007AprJun/
> 0129.html
> 	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-dev/2007AprJun/
> 0130.html
> 	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-dev/2007AprJun/
> 0131.html
> 	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-dev/2007AprJun/
> 0133.html
>
> Note that Uli, Peter, and I were several times over the past couple
> of days confused by this. Maybe we're stupid, but it was a strange
> way to have to think. I've personally spend far far too many hours
> on this. I think that's prima facie evidence that this is not a
> trivial move. Thus it requires pretty extra-ordinary justification.
>
> Note that you only need this for ontologies in logics that lack the
> infinite model property (i.e., that if they have a model, then they
> have an infinite model). ALC has the infinite model property. I
> think only logics with nominals (and sufficient other resources to
> constraint the domain) lack the infinite model property.
>
> However, it's very unclear what the impact on performance will be
> in those ontologies (aside from making some inconsistent).
>
> I strongly object to this proposal. The only given motivation is
> ideological: To align the semantics of OWL 1.1 with OWL Full. While
> the implementation of satsfiability "looks" ok, it's not clear that
> it will turn out to be ok (the raiser, Jeremy, has done no work,
> afaik, to check this; the fragments he implements have the infinite
> model property). Furthermore, it's *very* much unclear how this
> will affect the wide array of new and interesting services being
> worked on (e.g., approximate module extraction).
>
> There was a modeling argument against finiteable owl:Thing, e.g.,:
>
> Jim claimed that he didn't know of any use cases in "real"
> applications:
> 	http://www.w3.org/mid/50F0B246-12F4-4CDF-9FF4-DD31A0F0C223%
> 2540cs.rpi.edu
> including:
> 	"I note  that  some of the border cases for other issues come when
> the  extension of owl:thing is finite"
> but there is no listing of how the border cases work or even what
> [...]

it?." - Albert Einstein

Tetherless World Constellation Chair
Computer Science Dept