Action 91 and issue 95

Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> From: Evan Wallace <ewallace@cme.nist.gov>
> Subject: Re: Agenda for teleconference Wednesday February 27th, 2008
> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 14:33:24 -0500
>

>> Boris' action ( documented in http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-wg/2008Feb/0129.html) updated the text of
>> the structural specification document to allow datatypeRestrictions only on datatypes.  I am uncomfortable with this new
>> constraint, although I understand this was decided at last week's telecon (I was out sick).
>>

> What would you prefer?
>
> The syntax restriction was put in to prevent constructs like:
>
>    DatatypeRestriction(DataComplementOf(xsd:integer)
>                        minExclusive "1"^^xsd:integer)
>
> whose meaning is, at best, unclear.

My concern about the new constraint is that it will eliminate the
ability for communities to define their
own datatypes and then restrict those.  Allowing restrictions of
DatatypeRestrictions would support this
without opening the full Pandora's box of DataComplementOf.  I would be
comfortable with this option.
>> In any case, the action isn't
>> complete because the metamodel in figure 5, such as it is, hasn't been updated to match this new constraint.
>>

> Figure 5 was updated by Boris in 20 February.  It appears to me that the
> current version of the figure corresponds to the current version of the
> syntax (modulo the facet and value being valid for the datatype).

It may have been updated but it's not completely in sync with the text.
The pertinent part of the text reads, "Finally, the
datatypeRestriction constructor creates a data range by applying one or
more facet restriction to a datatype."  However,
in Figure 5, seen via
http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/index.php?title=Syntax&diff=3435&oldid=3313#Data_Ranges
or http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Syntax (last modified 19:28, 20 Feb
2008), the DatatypeRestriction has an
association to DataRange when it should be to Datatype.