Re: OWL Full proposal (sort of) - addressing my Action

Mike - that's easy - there's the semantics document the Webbies
preferred and the one the formal KR folks preferred - can you guess
which is which?

Seriously, the real answer is that these were developed in tandem, the
axiomatic one under DARPA support.  When we moved to the W3C, there
wasn't anyone who wanted to update the axiomatic (KIF) version and we
decided to have only one - since more people on the committee liked
model theory, that's the way we went.

  -JH
p.s. also, interestingly, there were divergences between the two - I
forget the details - it would be a good piece of work to bring the
rule-based one up to snuff with OWL 1.0 or 1.1...

On Feb 7, 2008, at 12:40 AM, Michael Schneider wrote:

> Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering what would be the differences between this proposal and
>> the DAML+OIL situation.  Recall that DAML+OIL has a reference
>> document
>> http://www.daml.org/2001/03/reference, which provides an informal
>> description of what DAML+OIL means and covers all RDF graphs, and a
>> semantics document,
>> http://www.daml.org/2001/03/model-theoretic-semantics, which provides
>> the DAML+OIL formal meaning (which is about half-way between OWL 1.1
>> semantics and OWL Full semantics).
>
> I can see that DAML+OIL actually had /two/ semantics documents. Here
> is the
> other one:
>
>  <http://www.w3.org/TR/daml+oil-axioms>
>
> What was the relationship between these two documents?
>
> Cheers,
> Michael
>
> --
> Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
> FZI Forschungszentrum Informatik Karlsruhe
> Abtl. Information Process Engineering (IPE)
> Tel  : +49-721-9654-726
> Fax  : +49-721-9654-727
> Email: Michael.Schneider@fzi.de
> Web  : http://www.fzi.de/ipe/eng/mitarbeiter.php?id=555
>
> FZI Forschungszentrum Informatik an der Universität Karlsruhe
> Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
> Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
> Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
> Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe
> Vorstand: Rüdiger Dillmann, Michael Flor, Jivka Ovtcharova, Rudi
> Studer
> Vorsitzender des Kuratoriums: Ministerialdirigent Günther Leßnerkraus

it?." - Albert Einstein

Tetherless World Constellation Chair
Computer Science Dept