Re: OWL Full proposal (sort of) - addressing my Action

As you'll recall. I was a big fan of the DAML+OIL situation, and feel
that if we'd stayed closer to that model in OWL 1.0 we might have been
better off.  However, there was some functionality that was perimtted
(or at least not forbidden) in DAML+OIL (cf. inverseFunctional
Datatypes) that was not reflected in OWL DL.  I am very happy to move
forward to the past in this case :-)
  -JH
p.s. One thing I didn't like in DAML+OIL was the QCR solution which
required special syntax, so I guess we're back to the past in several
ways :-)

On Feb 6, 2008, at 6:44 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> I'm wondering what would be the differences between this proposal and
> the DAML+OIL situation.  Recall that DAML+OIL has a reference document
> http://www.daml.org/2001/03/reference, which provides an informal
> description of what DAML+OIL means and covers all RDF graphs, and a
> semantics document,
> http://www.daml.org/2001/03/model-theoretic-semantics, which provides
> the DAML+OIL formal meaning (which is about half-way between OWL 1.1
> semantics and OWL Full semantics).
>
> peter
>
> PS: As an aside, it appears to me that making one change to the DAML
> +OIL
> semantics would move it very close to the OWL 1.1 semantics.  The
> change
> would be as follows:
>
>  <?O1,?R,?O2>   <IO(?O1),OI(?O2)> in IR(?R), provided that IO(?O1)
> <= AD,
>  		 **and the triple produces no other semantic constraints*

it?." - Albert Einstein

Tetherless World Constellation Chair
Computer Science Dept