Re: A stab at operationalizing Evan Wallace's suggestion for a new Overview

On Dec 7, 2007, at 4:36 PM, Rinke Hoekstra wrote:
[snip Rinke's description of one of my key concerns with the existing
UFDs]
>  Nonetheless the difference in the way in which the language is
> presented to the reader *is* probably relevant, something we could
> overcome by maintaining two orthogonal tables of contents.
>
> Is there a particular reason why these should be separate real
> (i.e. monolithic, linear) documents, and not closely interlinked
> 'perspectives' on the same content?

This is met by my proposal to enhance the structural specification with:
	1) more modular/referencelike organization; slightly richer "less
formal" english descriptions, and examples,
	2) CSS tricks to allow hiding of information/alternative views/
syntaxes, etc.
	3) appropriate indexes/interfaces for reference like navigation

This is intended to replace the reference and that part of the
overview which acts as a terse reference/index. My hope is that we'll
have *one* definitive place where the description, canonical example,
and the formal (syntactic) definition all live (with a link tothe
formal semantics) so you have *one clear path* from "friendly idea"
to "full specification" for any bit of OWL, even if you choose to
explore things in other ways.

I am tasked by the task force to produce a proof of concept of this
for a section of the struc spec. I'm also tasked to produce a proof
of concept draft of what I take as replacing the overview/guide which
I call the primer.