Re: ISSUE-83 (Vipul): Property Chain Axiom: P1 o P2 => P2 o P1

My understanding from Jeremy's email in this thread is that in the
OWL Full version of 1.1 this can be expressed - if that is the case,
why is this postponed rather than accepted, but only for Full (like
we do for  inverseFunctional Datatypes)

On Dec 4, 2007, at 4:47 AM, Ian Horrocks wrote:

> To summarise: This is not allowed in the existing syntax, it would
> lead to undecidability if it were allowed (even for very restricted
> language subsets), it is not supported by implementations and seems
> unlikely to be supported in the foreseeable future. I therefore
> propose to postpone it on these grounds.
>
> Ian
>

> On 3 Dec 2007, at 18:59, Uli Sattler wrote:
>

>> Hi Conrad -
>>
>> On 3 Dec 2007, at 15:38, Conrad Bock wrote:
>>

>>> Uli,

>>> Do you know of anyone working on restrictions that would make
>>> chains in
>>> the "super" position (right hand side) decidable?
>>>

>> I don't know of anybody currently working on it, but we know that
>> it (having R o S => T o U)  makes reasoning undecidable in the
>> logic that
>>
>> - has only IntersectionOf an SomeValuesFrom restrictions (see
>> Baader, DL 2003, http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/
>> Publications/CEUR-WS/Vol-81/baader.pdf)
>>
>> - has only intersectionOf and AllValuesFrom Manfred Schmidt-
>> Schau . Subsumption in KL-ONE is undecidable. In Ron J.
>> Brachman, Hector J. Levesque, and Ray Reiter, editors, Proc. of
>> the 1st Int.
>> Conf. on the Principles of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning
>> (KR'89),
>> pages 421-431. Morgan Kaufmann, Los Altos, 1989.
>>
>> Cheers, Uli
>>
>>> Conrad

it?." - Albert Einstein

Tetherless World Constellation Chair