Re: Pretty printing OWL FSS : request for preferences and samples

Chris Mungall <cjmungall@lbl.gov> writes:

> If the goal is pretty-printing, then it needs to emit labels after ##s, akin
> to obo format and the behavior of the owlapi rdf/xml writer. This dictates
> behavior regarding newlines for closing parentheses.
>
> E.g.
>
> SubClassOf(
>   Annotation(
>      :IAO_0000232  ## curator note
>      "this is a text axiom"
>   )
>   :ZFA_0005587   ## nephron progenitor
>   ObjectSomeValuesFrom(
>     :BFO_0000050  ## part of
>     :ZFA_0000529  ## kidney
>   ))

I really do start to wonder whether numeric IDs are really such a
sensible idea. Still independent discussion.

> If only annotations were the final argument rather than the first.
>
> Perhaps what we actually need is a new syntax designed from the ground
> up with specific requirements in mind

I really hesistate with the idea that we need yet another syntax for
OWL. We do already have really quite a lot of syntaxes.

> (e.g. layered on a sensible syntax like yaml, no lingering traces of
> lisp, VCSable, readable, moderately hackable in a text editor,
> incorporating @context ideas from JSON-LD).

Of course, having said all of that, this was a large part of my
intention with Tawny-OWL. It fulfils all of the requirements above
except for the @context. And arguing the "lingering traces" -- it's far
from lingering in for Tawny.

Phil