Re: OWL2 Feedback from Lilly

Hi Ian,

I'd just sent the following response to Bob Powers:

 Yimin Wang wrote the feedback, so I've cc'ed him in this mail. In his
 feedback he meant that picking the right profile is hard.

 He also adds: " In particular, it is very difficult to teach common
 users/software developer to understand the differences between profiles.
 From my experience, most actual users cannot clearly understand the
 difference between OWL and RDF. I think the most important thing is to
 clearly tell people "when to use what" by introducing some comprehensive
 examples / tutorials."

 Cheers,

 Susie

             Ian Horrocks
             <horrocks@cs.man.
             ac.uk>                                                     To
                                       Susie M Stephens
             01/28/2009 08:15          <STEPHENS_SUSIE_M@LILLY.COM>
                                       public-owl-comments@w3.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: OWL2 Feedback from Lilly

Hi Susie,

Thanks for the feedback.

Can you please ask the person who made comment (1) to clarify if "it
may cost many extra efforts and is very challenging to teach system
developers to use new OWL2, in particular, identifying different
subsets of OWL2 for developers with limited logic background" was
intended to mean:

- that it would be a good idea to identify existing subsets of OWL2
(aka profiles) that are appropriate for people with a limited logic
background, or
- that it would be a good idea to have (an) additional subset(s) of
OWL2 that is/are targeted at people with a limited logic background, or
- that it is difficult for people with a limited logic background to
identify which OWL2 subset is appropriate for their application, or
- something else?

Thanks,
Ian