Re: Web annotations for physical texts

Hi Steven,

Some thoughts on your questions…

CTS URNs are for machine-actionable identification and retrieval of passages of text, so their job really is different from that of a human-readable label. In our projects we use the plain text CEX format ( https://cite-architecture.github.io/citedx/CEX-spec-3.0.1/ ) for capturing data and loading it into services, and it is at that level that we can attach human-readable labels to works and editions.

Here’s a link that will (after a short delay, the server seems a little slow today) deliver a passage of text, with a label attached (and linked commentaries and some other stuff):

http://www.homermultitext.org/hmt-digital/index.html?urn=urn:cts:greekLit:tlg0012.tlg001.msA:1.1-1.5

As for citing a page of a book… CTS really is about _texts_ rather than _books_. A CTS-URN captures the semantics of a “text” defined as “an ordered hierarchy of citation objects”..

For our texts, at least, pages in a physical edition constitute a structure orthogonal to the citation-hieararchy of a work.

So I don’t think there is a low-friction way to bend CTS away from canonically citable (= citations independent of any particular expression of a text) texts to texts citable only by pages in a particular printed edition.

We associate CTS texts with “pages”, but it involves quite a bit of integration. This might be way more than you want to get into, but to give an example…

http://www.homermultitext.org/hmt-digital/index.html?urn=urn:cite2:hmt:msA.v1:12r

The above is a URL that will display an object in an ordered collection of manuscript folios; "urn:cite2:hmt:msA.v1:12r” identifies folio 12-recto of a physical manuscript.

And this is a record that identifies a graph of (a) a passage of text (CtsUrn), (b) a physical folio (Cite2Urn), and (c) a digital image mapping the passage on the folio:

http://www.homermultitext.org/hmt-digital/index.html?urn=urn:cite2:hmt:va_dse.v1:il10

Cheers,
Chris B.

--
Christopher W. Blackwell
The Louis G. Forgione University Professor