Re: Web annotations for physical texts

Given two endorsements for CTS in short order, I read the description and
it seemed intuitive and to cover the required specificity easily. As such:

urn:cts:CTSNAMESPACE:WORK:PASSAGE@SUBREFERENCE

Would become

urn:cts:isbn:###:<PASSAGE>

Pros:

1. Intuitive!

Cons:

1. With ISBN we lose the human friendliness of say, “JK Rowling wrote
HP&Philospher’s stone.” This can be remedied, of course, by a higher
container holding human-friendly data, but it seems like an obvious nit to
address. MLA and other citation schemes preserve this visibly in the
citation.

Question:

1. How to handle <PASSAGE> in a book?

Pasting the full text seems onerous. To annotate passage p, I don’t want to
have to type in passage p *and* my annotation. This would also set one
afoul of copyright holders.

Further, range offsets, while completely reasonable are not given generally
outside of epic poetry or other classics.

Certainly many e-readers make this calculation possible and that will
surely be the correct scheme for annotations from that medium. However, my
focus remains real books ;)

The most common scheme for a popular book would be the page. The docs
state, failing an offset:

> A reference to an individual passage is formatted as dot-separated
components representing one or more levels of the citation hierarchy
defined in a CTS TextInventory for that work.

Now for most popular works, there is no CTS TextInventory — to the best of
my knowledge.

So: is there a low-friction way to refer to a page?

Thanks for the suggestions to now,

Steven

(Typos and blunders my own as i’m On vacation without access to a keyboard
;))