Web annotations for physical texts

From: Steven Harms <sgharms@stevengharms.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 13:57:24 -0400
To: public-openannotation@w3.org
Greetings,

I am interested in creating annotations on physical books [1
<https://stevengharms.com/research/semweb-topic/problem_statement/>].

As the name "web annotations" suggests, the default target of the Web
Annotation Working Group would be, of course, to annotation IRI-referable
targets with IRI-identifiable Annotations.

1. Is there a model whereby we could point to a physical resource in a URI
/ IRI format (and thus join the existing Web Annotation universe, *or*
2. Is there a framework that might support referring to physical books that
I've simply not found
3. Or should I plan to use JSON-LD to create "forge my own path?"

I hope to post an example of what #3 might look like, but I'd like to
double check my understanding before engaging in in such an effort, *tabula
rasa*.

Regards,

Steven

[1]: https://stevengharms.com/research/semweb-topic/problem_statement/