Re: Literals as Body

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 2:30 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes
<soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> The specification describes oa:hasBody as a "Relationship" rather than
> a "Property".
> So my short answer is no, oa:hasBody must go to a resource, not a literal.

Yes, that's correct.  oa:hasBody always has a resource as subject, not
a literal.

This is primarily for two reasons:
* Consistency for Modeling.  We do not want to have to inspect the
object in the triple to figure out what is going on. It should always
just be a resource.  This makes the modeling much cleaner at the
(minimal) expense of two extra triples.
* Consistency for Data.  As the body resource may not be text (it
could be video, audio, image, data, anything!) then the case where it
is text should not be a special case, for the sake of saving one
triple.

> http://www.openannotation.org/spec/core/#Inline species how the
> literal (at least string or bytes) can be represented using Content In
> RDF.

Yep, and also a server should behave if it wants to turn the inline
content into a full resource with a dereferencable URI.

> I think I have raised earlier that the RDFS definition should
> clarifier this with light use of OWL.

Sure.  I'm happy to replace the current RDFS with whatever is most
appropriate, so long as someone (Stian?) will commit to maintaining it
:)

Rob