Re: [Open Annotation] some questions

Hi,

After having spent some time thinking about the issues here are some
considerations:

1) When I use pundit:hasPageContext, I think about a property attached to
the annotation and not to one of the specific targets.
In Pundit we are supporting cross-page annotations, that is an annotation
that has two targets, e.g. two named content from two different pages.
Using the representation that you suggest it would be encoded as follows:

<_:Anno1> a oa:Annotation ;
  oa:hasBody <_:Body1> ;
  oa:hasTarget <_:SpecificResource1> ;
  oa:hasTarget <_:SpecificResource2> .

<_:SpecificResource1> a oa:SpecificResource ;
  oa:hasSource <http://example.org/page/1.html> ;
  oa:hasSelector <_:AASelector1> .

<_:AASelector1> a oax:AboutAttributeSelector ;
  oax:about <http://example.org/section/123> .

<_:SpecificResource2> a oa:SpecificResource ;
  oa:hasSource <http://example.org/page/2.html> ;
  oa:hasSelector <_:AASelector2> .

<_:AASelector2> a oax:AboutAttributeSelector ;
  oax:about <http://example.org/section/456> .

Then...again: how do I know what page the user was looking at when he
created the annotation? was ithttp://example.org/page/2.html or
http://example.org/page/1.html

That is why I'm currently doing:

<_:Anno1> a oa:Annotation ;
  oa:hasSource <_:Body1> ;
  oa:hasTarget <_:SpecificResource1> ;
  oa:hasTarget <_:SpecificResource2> ;
  pundit:hasPageContext <http://example.org/page/1.html> .

2) You are right when you say that there is probably no need for the class
oax:AboutAttributeSelector
Also I think it would be better to use the URL of the named content as
value of the hasSource property (e.g.http://example.org/section/123) as it
is a web resource and should have a HTML representation itself (e.g. a HTML
page including only one paragraph).
However, the idea of adding a selector might be good. In the example below
such selector has a rdf:value that is an xpointer pointing to the named
content. Notice that resolving it is independent from the HTML page where
the resolution takes place ... it can be resolved in
http://example.org/page/1.html or in http://example.org/section/123 or in
whatever other page that has the named content inside, however for each
specific resource there should be an indication of what is the preferred
web page where the resolution should take place (this is needed at
application level). I think that the right point to attach such information
is the selector associated to the specific resource (e.g. see ex:page in
the example below).

<_:Anno1> a oa:Annotation ;
  oa:hasBody <_:Body1> ;
  oa:hasTarget <_:SpecificResource1> ;
  pundit:hasPageContext <http://example.org/page/1.html> .

<_:SpecificResource1> a oa:SpecificResource ;
  oa:hasSource <http://example.org/section/123> ;
  oa:hasSelector <_:AASelector1> .

<_:AASelector1> a oax:XPointerFragmentSelector ;
  # not sure about how it would look like according to XPointer specs,
  # but the following would point to the whole content of the DIV element
with the specified value of the "about" attribute...
  rdf:value "xpointer(....(//DIV[@about='http://example.org/section/123']
... )" ;
  # the following would state what is the default page where to resolve the
xpointer
  ex:page <http://example.org/page/1.html> .

3) The case, that in Pundit is very frequent, where the user is annotating
a piece of a named content rather the whole named content could be modeled
the same way.
The only difference being that the Xpointer now indicates a precise piece
of the named-content.
It would look like:

<_:Anno1> a oa:Annotation ;
  oa:hasBody <_:Body1> ;
  oa:hasTarget <_:SpecificResource1> ;
  pundit:hasPageContext <http://example.org/page/1.html> .

<_:SpecificResource1> a oa:SpecificResource ;
  oa:hasSource <http://example.org/section/123> ;
  oa:hasSelector <_:AASelector1> .

<_:AASelector1> a oax:XPointerFragmentSelector ;
  rdf:value "xpointer(start-point(string-range(//DIV[@about='
http://example.org/section/123']/P[2]/text()[1
],'',1))/range-to(string-range(//DIV[@about='
http://example.org/section/123']/P[2]/text()[1],'',16)))" ;